The Madison United for Academic Excellence (MUAE) meeting of 12-December-2006 offered a Question and Answer session with Madison Director of Teaching and Learning, Lisa Wachtel, and Brian Sniff, District K-12 Math Coordinator.
A list of questions was prepared and given to the speakers in advance so they could address the specific concerns of parents.
of the meeting is 130MB, and 1 hour and 30 minutes long. Click on the image at left to watch the video.
The video contains chapter headings which allow quick navigation to sections of the meeting. The video will play immediately, while the file continues to download.
The topics covered during remarks and the question and answer sessions were accompanied by a PowerPoint presentation (here in PDF format), highlights of which are
- Changing demographics in the school district
- Listing of Superintendent’s Goals for comprehensive review, as set by the Board of Education
- K-5 Math Standards, Resources, and role of Teaching and Learning
- Professional development for K-5 teachers
- 5th Grade Math Assessment Pilot project for advanced students
- Middle school math, 6th to 8th grade
- Math certification of middle school math teachers, with an extended discussion of the statistic that only 5% of middle school math teachers are math certified,
comparing Wisconsin to bordering states
- WKCE tests and testing in general
- Discussion by audience of recent studies and trends in math preparation for college