Musk also tweeted “Sunlight is the best disinfectant.”
We agree, so OpenTheBooks.com got to work. We searched federal spending to find that nine of the 26 organizations collected about $10.5 million in federal funds over the past few years.
Black Lives Matter was one of them, receiving $19,000 in grants from the Small Business Administration in 2020 and $11,300 in forgivable SBA loans in 2020. However, the organization was collecting these funds at the same time that some of their leaders were encouraging protests that looted small businesses.
The other organizations that received federal funding are:
- Friends of the Earth – $1.2 million grant in 2020
- GLAAD – $7,650 grants in 2019 and 2020 and $2 million in forgivable loans from the SBA in 2020 and 2021
- Media Matters for America – $1.1 millionforgivable SBA loan in 2020
- MediaJustice (formerly Center for Media Justice) – $210,255 forgivable SBA loan in 2020
- NARAL Pro-Choice America – $936,350forgivable SBA loan in 2020
- National Hispanic Media Coalition – $194,789 in two forgivable SBA loans in 2020 and 2021
- Religious Coalition for Reproductive Choice – $195,722 in three forgivable SBA loans in 2020 and 2021
- Union of Concerned Scientists – $4.5 millionin a forgivable SBA loan in 2020