The president’s budget request includes significant funding increases for:
- School districts with students from low-income households, increasing Title I funding from $16.5 billion to $36.5 billion.
- The Individuals with Disabilities Education Act, increasing funding from $12.9 billion to $15.5 billion.
- Head Start, the federal government’s largest preschool program, which would receive $11.9 billion, an increase of $1.2 billion.
- School districts, which would receive an additional $1 billion to increase the number of counselors, nurses, and mental health professionals in K-12 education.
- The federal Pell Grant program, which would see an increase of $400 per grant on average.
This proposal is just one piece of a massive education spending spree that began a year ago and shows no sign of stopping.