The Cherokee PTO recently forwarded their top 5 Madison School District Priorities:
- Long range planning, especially to include a plan for the increased numbers of students who will be attending Cherokee and West.
- Maintaining a challenging level of curriculum while providing services to an increased number of students with diverse needs (TAG, music, reading specialists, ESL, special needs and children living in poverty were especially mentioned as being areas in need of services).
- Insuring a safe and nurturing environment (to include physical safety, cultural understanding and a positive climate).
- Purchasing and maintaining needed equipment and materials (there was a discussion about teacher’s requests to include basic classroom materials and the difficulty in funding new equipment such as the FOSS science kits required by the district).
- Preserving facility maintenance/repair while maintaining the small class sizes as we deal with issues of growth.